Six Core Areas
The ultimate aim of the work undertaken by teaching schools is to have a positive and sustainable impact on the lives and opportunities of all children and young people by raising standards of teaching and improving learning outcomes.
St. Mary's Teaching School is one of only eight teaching schools within Leeds. Besides the work we do as an individual teaching school, St. Mary's works within an alliance - a group of schools and strategic partners that are supported by the leadership of a teaching school. Working together means a stronger team of professionals and a wider range of knowledge, skills and experience which can be deployed across the 'Big Six' strands of work undertaken by each teaching school.
Specialist Leaders of Education
Specialist Leaders of Education are outstanding middle and senior leaders. They have at least two years’ leadership experience in a particular specialism (e.g. maths, school business management, initial teacher training). Their home school does not have to be outstanding however.
Their role is to support individuals or teams in a similar position in other schools. They help others achieve outstanding leadership in their area of specialism.
We recruit and manage the placements of Specialist Leaders of Education. This involves:
- identifying subject area priorities within our alliance
- setting up a panel of Headteachers to assess applicants
- using eligibility criteria to select Specialist Leaders of Education
- ensuring that the recruitment process is fair
- organising training for Specialist Leaders of Education
- negotiating Specialist Leader of Education work
- ensuring that Specialist Leaders of Education are providing high-quality support that is having a positive impact